This is it. This is the one."
With those words, Michael Jackson described his ill-omened, 50-date "This Is It" tour to Kenny Ortega, his concert collaborator and long-time friend of 20 years.
"He said it five times during one phone call when we first started talking about the concert," recalls Ortega, 59.
The world will never know what Jackson's dream concert would have been like. His abrupt death on June 25, 2009 put an end to his planned return to the stage.
Yet, in the new documentary "Michael Jackson's This Is It," director Ortega pieces together a musical mosaic from rehearsal footage to honour the iconic star, his fans and the concert that never was.
The hugely-anticipated film arrives in theatres on October 28 for a two-week run.
Pulled together from more than 80 hours of rehearsal footage, the documentary offers a rare glimpse into Jackson's final days before he died of cardiac arrest.
Jackson's death is believed to have resulted from the use of the drugs propofol and lorazepam. Law enforcement officials are currently conducting a manslaughter investigation of his personal physician, Conrad Murray.
Columbia Pictures, the film's distributor, reportedly paid US$60 million for rights to the footage.
Telling the story through interviews with Jackson's friends and colleagues, Ortega zeros in on the King of Pop's preparations for his sold-out shows at London's 02 Arena. The concerts were to begin in July of 2009 and end in March of 2010.
"I didn't have a vision for this film before he died. We were creating a concert. We were eight days away from leaving from L.A. for London," Ortega told reporters at Toronto's Hazelton Hotel on Saturday.
When the documentary offer came to Ortega shortly after Jackson's death, he declined.
"It was too soon. To close," he says.
After some reflection, however, Ortega changed his mind. "It was my responsibility," he says. "The journey wasn't over."
Jackson and Ortega had already begun shooting rehearsal footage on their own prior to the performer's death. The film was slated to be used in a post-concert DVD.
"We were shooting all the time, never really thinking we were capturing anything at all," says Ortega.
That footage, coupled with archival material from Jackson's own library, captures this dynamic duo "dreaming and conceptualizing" says Ortega.
The film also captures a Michael Jackson who is very present and very alive says Ortega.
Far from being a broken, over-the-hill pop star, Ortega shows a vital, excited performer who could still bust a dance move that would stop traffic.
"The dancers here were half Michael's age. They were in awe of what this 50-year-old man was doing," says Ortega.
"Michael had ailments. I had more," says Ortega, who directed Jackson's "Dangerous" (1992) and "History" (1996) world tours.
"Michael had some back issues and he had been burnt. I don't know how he handled his pain. I respected his privacy. But, he wasn't old and crippled," says Ortega.
"Especially at the end he was his strongest. That's why when it ended we were all so shattered," he says.
Jackson was strong on stage, even in his final days
An Emmy Award-winning producer, director and choreographer, Ortega first earned worldwide recognition working as a choreographer on Gene Kelly's 1980 dance flick, "Xanadu."
Before his collaborations with Jackson, Ortega created the choreography for such films as "St. Elmo's Fire" (1985), "Pretty in Pink" (1986) and Patrick Swayze's "Dirty Dancing" (1987).
Dubbed the Billion Dollar Maestro by Daily Variety, Ortega choreographed such major events as the 72nd Academy Awards, the 1996 Summer Olympics in Atlanta and the 2002 Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City.
Also known as the director of Madonna's "Material Girl" video and the "High School Musical" film franchise, Ortega is currently working on a remake of the movie "Footloose." The film stars "Gossip Girl" actor, Chace Crawford.
Ortega, the man who was the creative director of Jackson's memorial service, hopes the world will embrace "This Is It" for two very important reasons.
"First, Michael was the architect here. He wanted to do this concert. It nourished him. It invigorated him. I've never seen him more invested in a project," says Ortega.
After a decade of troubles that had reduced the King of Pop into a worldwide joke, Jackson's decision to return to the concert stage roused considerable speculation.
Ortega clarifies Jackson's motivations once and for all.
"This experience was for his kids," says Ortega. "That's why he wanted to do this. They were old enough now to appreciate what their father was all about on stage."
Compelled to give them and his fans something exciting, Jackson orchestrated a concept that included
3D elements and a level of choreography that would have reminded audiences of his genius.
"I remember once saying to Michael 'You're going to get your crown back my man. You're going to be vindicated.' Michael looked at me and said 'Kenny, you're so silly.'" This wasn't about validations or vindications or Michael restoring his crown. It was for his children," says Ortega.
"Michael's reasons were so pure. He wanted to perform for all the right reasons," says Ortega. "I hope the world will embrace the film and him. I'd like to see this for his children and his fans."
No comments. Just article by Constance Droganes